Friday, September 28, 2012

The Big Bangle Theory

Posted by Unknown at 9:18 AM
If you have a baby and she/he is on WIC then you probably end up with a lot of Gerber formula cans in your trash. I still throw the cans away because I know at some point if I use them for anything, some kind of liquid will get in there and the can will rust, so I don't bother with it. But I do save the lids. I actually saw on a site a while back that you can cut out the middle of the lid and crochet around it and use it as a handle on a purse. Since I abuse my purses to no end, I don't crochet any because they'd probably only last a week. So I decided I'd just make some bangles with them. They end up a little on the large side, so this probably wont work if you have small hands. Mine are pretty average and they don't slip off.

You'll need some scissors, a lid, yarn and an appropriate sized hook.
First thing you want to do is poke a hole through the lid with a pair of scissors (being careful not to poke a hole through yourself) and start cutting around the circle.

 It doesn't have to be perfect. Unless you want it to be. I'm lazy, so mine's not.
Next attach the yarn to the lid however you see fit. I just tie mine on because I usually go over it and hide the ends and I like to know it's secure. You can also just hold the yarn in place with your finger and do a slip stitch (next step).

Then you're going to  take the hook underneath to the back of the rim of the lid, hook onto the yarn and pull it under the rim and up to the front. Yarn over and pull through the loop.
Now you have a loop on your hook and will continue to do this same process around the ring.


Hook goes under the lid to the back, and hooks onto the yarn. (please excuse my nasty looking old lady hands.)

Pull yarn under and to the front of ring.

 Yarn over.




 Pull through all loops.
Easy as eating pie! Do this all the way around the lid and then invisible FO and hide your tail.








On the blue one I used some tarn from an old sweater I had. If you use two yarns, keep them from twisting and you'll get an a,b pattern instead of the random chaos like mine.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

proCRAFTStination Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos